Prior to buying a house I always lived in apartments. I only had cats because being a Texas girl I always thought that dogs needed a yard. Through owning Top Dog, I realized I was wrong! We have quite a few pups that live happily in apartments. You just need to choose an easygoing breed. Here are some great examples of awesome pups that would enjoy that lifestyle.
10. Tibetan Spaniel-These dogs are small lap dogs that are alert and curious. But they don’t require a lot of activity. They weigh about 9-15 lbs. Tibetan Spaniels are happiest in cool, indoor spaces.
9. Bull Mastiff-Contrary to popular belief these huge guys are very calm, lazy, and want to nap all the time. They also make a great guard dog and require little grooming.
8. Boston Terrier-The Boston Terrier is a short, compact dog that is easy to train. They are very chilled when they are inside and like to have quick bursts of energy when outside. They weigh about 10—25.
7. Miniature Pinscher-Their small size (8-10 lb.) make these dogs perfect for apartment living even though they have more energy than any other breed on the list. After zipping around the apartment a few times, they will curl up and take a nap.
6. Pug-The Pug is my favorite on the list! They are playful and Hilarious! Since they do not do well in the heat and have breathing issues, they are happiest indoors. They weigh 13-20 lbs. and do not require much grooming. Pugs are prone to over-eating, so it is important to watch their diet. Once they gain a few lbs. it is hard to get it off.
5. Basset Hound-Unlike other breeds on this list, the Basset Hound is only lazy when he’s inside. Once outside, this breed can easily run and sniff for hours. They get along well with other animals because they are very gentle and laid back. The Basset Hound is a little bigger than the other dogs at 45-60 lbs. But their easygoing nature makes up for their size.
4. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel-These naturally quiet dogs get along with everyone. Cavaliers are very intelligent and only require shorts romps around the living room followed by long naps. These beautiful dogs require regular grooming and weigh about 10-18 lbs.
3. Chow Chow-These big dogs (45-70lbs.) are VERY lazy and sensitive to high temperatures so they make great indoor dogs. Their aloof nature makes them too cat-like for some people. But they make great snuggle buddies since they look like bears. Their thick coat does require lots of grooming.
2. Shih Tzu-Even though Shih-Tzu’s actually have a reputation of being a “yapper” they are actually very friendly and alert. These small dogs are not very fond of the outdoors. They are content with just following around your apartment all day. Since they are very small (9-16 lbs.) they are the perfect size for an apartment. They do shed a lot, however, and require regular grooming.
1. English Bulldog-These compact, short dogs may look like they mean business, but inside they are just big love bugs that want to just cuddle up with you. These dogs prefer indoors as they get hot and tire easily. Their short coat requires little grooming. This stocky breed weighs about 45-55 lbs.