During each spring and summer, shelters get overcrowded with homeless kittens. Many cats have lost their lives over the past few years due to overcrowding and lack of care. So, to overcome this issue, ASPCA celebrates an event in June. Since June is Adopt a Shelter cat month in the US, you can play your part to provide a home to a homeless cat.
Benefits of Adopting a Shelter Cat
There are many benefits of adopting a shelter cat for both you and the cat, such as:
• You Save Lives
It’s the most important benefit and reason to adopt a shelter cat. Almost 9 million cats are euthanized each year due to a lack of space in shelters. When you adopt a cat from a shelter, you save a life. More importantly, it will free space for the other animals.
• Health Benefits
Adopting shelter cats provide many health benefits to humans. They help you get rid of stress, anxiety, depression, and loneliness. Moreover, they offer you a sense of happiness. Recently a study was conducted to test the benefits of adopting a cat, and it shows that when you own a cat, it reduces the risk of deaths from cardiovascular disease.
• You’ll Get an Idea of Cat’s Personality
When you adopt a shelter cat, they will tell you about the personality of a cat. For example, the volunteers can let you know about their likes, dislikes, and specific needs. So, you can adopt a cat according to your needs.
• Saves Money
Almost all the cats in shelters are already vaccinated. Moreover, they are neutered and spayed. So, it will prevent your visits to the vet. So, it will save you time and money. More importantly, shelter cats are already trained, so you don’t have to teach them basic skills.
What to Do If You Can’t Adopt a Cat?
June is adopt a shelter cat month, but if you can’t adopt a cat, then how can you help kittens? Don’t worry; if you can’t adopt cats, you can still help them in the following ways:
• Use social media platforms to spread awareness. You can post on Facebook status “Adopt a cat and save a life.” Similarly, post a tweet on Twitter and
use the same hashtag.
• Visit your nearby shelter and get a flyer that you can post outside your office. You can promote the events they are hosting.
• Share the importance and benefits of adopting a shelter cat through a blog, Pinterest, and Facebook.
• Provide money to the shelter houses and rescuer groups. You can also buy cat essentials and gift them to shelters.
• Spread awareness and encourage your kids, relatives, and other friends to adopt a cat.
June is adopt a shelter cat month in the US, so the best way is to adopt cats and save lives. It will provide many benefits to both of you. If you can’t adopt a cat, follow the tips mentioned above and contribute to this noble cause.